Monday, December 15, 2008

My Noisy Turtles



Several years ago, my roommates Diana and Shirley and I decided we wanted a pet. We weren't allowed to have cats or dogs, so we decided on something small and easy to care for - turtles.
Once we came to the decision, Diana and I made a trek down to Chinatown (where they are sold on the street) on a warm afternoon and brought home our new beloved little pets Tobie, Shelly and Fluffy. They were so tiny, cute and scared after we brought them home. We bought them a tank, a light and a rock - watching them grow and seeing how they lived. They like to get on their rock, under the light, stretch their legs and stack themselves. It's quite cute to watch the little turtle sandwich. Later Fluffy died and we were left with two turtles.
As time went by, the roommates and I went our separate ways. I ended up with the turtles and have since taken them to Detroit with me. They have grown from the size of my thumb to the size of my fist. They have caused quite a stir lately. My landlord (who lives below me), claims that the turtles make too much noise and keep him up at night. I realize they don't bark or meow - after all they're turtles. They don't make any noise. I guess he can hear them swimming - his bedroom is below the room the room they live in. This has caused quite a contention in my house and my landlord has all but asked me to break my lease and find another place to live. All of this because of "noisy" turtles. It's crazy.
I was at a work party and I met this guy who was telling me about his nieces and nephews. He likes to sing Old McDonald had a farm with them and sometimes stumps them by saying "Old McDonald had a turtle..." - knowing they don't make noises. I said to the guy... funny you say that... let me tell you about my landlord...
Sad, very sad. How could Tobie and Shelly cause so much trouble? How dare they??!?




Update:
I have since worked things out with the landlord. Tobey and Shelly sleep in a bucket in the bathroom at night and are contently happy about it.

I am moving in March!

3 comments:

quierotango said...

why are you moving if you worked things out? where are you moving to?

Pastor Tim said...

That's a comical story and Shelly is a apt name for a turtle . . '-))

hollyabdullah said...

It was later revealed the landlord had sleep apnea and was waking himself up!! LOL!!