Tuesday, September 23, 2008

NYC Update


I returned back to NYC for a few days last week for a visit. 

I had no plans to return as soon as I did, but it seemed "divinely" set up. A friend of mine found some extremely cheap tickets online and bought them so we could have a fun weekend - me and three other ladies. One by one, each person had to back out of the trip until I was left going to NYC by myself. 

I was thinking to myself .... "why God are you sending me on this visit and what are you wanting to do through it?".  I spent time with friends and was able to get some real quality one on one time, without being in a rush. I had brunch, sightseeing and all the good stuff. Living in NYC, life for me was always a rush or a quest to get rest between being in a rush. 

I was able to spend a lot of time with Peck, one of my very best friends who attended Harvest Church with me. She has been mourning the loss of all of her friends moving away. Every last friend of hers literally up and relocated in the past year- including myself. 

I stopped by the Harvest Center to see Gina teaching ESL classes. Gina was formerly my assistant teacher and translator, who was raised up to take over my ESL classes. She is doing an amazing job and her work is far surpassing mine - this is what I was praying for. 

I went to Gringer to see all my guys. I spent 2 hours just catching up. They were like my brothers and we spent time together like a family reunion. The highlight of the visit was seeing Eddie. Some of you might recall Eddie from my previous newsletters. He and I struck a special friendship - he lived in the South Bronx and knew the streets for many, many years (he was 60 years old). God moved in his life and throughout the course of our friendship, he kicked a longtime heroin and alcohol addiction - all with God's help. He testifies today clean and sober, giving God all the glory. When I stopped by that day, he showed me something beautiful... his wedding ring. After 27 years and 4 children, he married his longtime mate Desi and can now legally call her his wife. WOW. I can't tell you how man conversations we had over marriage and making things right - now they are! I pray that God will continue to put back the pieces of his life. I ask you to join me. Young men in the community, most of whom are fatherless look up to him and open up to him. If God sent me to the Bronx just for Eddie - it was well worth it because of the younger men that can be reached-through a transformed God fearing man from the block.

I also returned to Harvest Church and saw all my friends, brothers and sisters. They are so beautiful and seeing them made my heart jump for joy. I miss them all so dearly and pray that they will continue the work without growing weary. 

(picture below is Eddie in 2006)


 

1 comment:

Pastor Tim said...

Wow, now that brought tears to my eyes. What an exceptional story . . .